THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning a beginner the basics

4 posters

Go down

Learning a beginner the basics Empty Learning a beginner the basics

Post by SA Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:57 am

I think this guy did come up with a great drill to learn the basics of swimming.
what do you guys think.
A good thing to learn for beginners ?

step one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUD9wp59Bw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QiSLRhCyao

step 2 connection the arms for propulsion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB0DIjd1oE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms391iic1kw

SA

Back to top Go down

Learning a beginner the basics Empty Re: Learning a beginner the basics

Post by cottmiler Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:12 am

There is a twisting action of the torso relative to the pelvis.  If this is under proper control then all is fine.  However, if it becomes a snaking wriggling action then it must be ruthlessly tamed by learning front plank and side plank dryland routines.  TRX training?

www.trxtraining.co.uk

Anyhow, I'll let you know what happens in a couple of hours after my morning splash.

#

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:51 am

Here the core is straight and not twisty or snakey. I think this is something a beginner needs to understand from Day 1.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wumpYCI-O5Q

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by SA Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:09 am

her hips are overshooting the shouldrrotation a bit. Thats a bad habit.

I agree some people overdo the torso twist to the point of that it starts to hurt streanline. Thats mostly an overdone bending action.

SA

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:12 am

SA,
It is not about the subject matter but I want to rewatch the videos once you had posted about the head position. There was a man hitting 2 boards in the water one's side was lifted like a head the other was flat, the head up one was subject to less drag thus faster than the flat one... Can you find them if possible and send again. I will work on my technique by considering those, because when I lift my head a bit I see that my pace is getting better.
Thanks.

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:29 am

SA. It was an Australian man. You posted this on T.I maybe a year ago. I,ve had a look around but can't find it.

When Mrs Cott did some lessons with Shelley Yaylor-Smith she was told not to bury her head but have it higher, half out of the water.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:40 am

A tried the front float with two beat kick as in SA,s first video and it was easy and was a nice start to normal swimming since it coordinated arms and legs. The legs started the rhythm. Doubtless it would be good for a beginner.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:21 pm

SA, your streamline plank video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=afLqay5L95Q

28 June 2016
"Head position, balance reaction simplified" thread by zenturtle.on Total Immersion forum.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike A Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:26 pm

cottmiler wrote:When Mrs Cott did some lessons with Shelley Yaylor-Smith she was told not to bury her head but have it higher, half out of the water.

Head position is something I find myself constantly adjusting. I have a relatively large head and long neck, so in the classical "waterline halfway up the forehead" position my hips tend to sink unless I'm kicking like crazy. At the other extreme, if I stare straight down at the bottom I can feel my legs coming up into a better streamline; however this can also increase frontal drag at the head itself and cause problems for breathing (I don't subscribe to the TI dogma that "the more underwater the better").

My new wetsuit has very good leg buoyancy (the 5mm neoprene goes further down the legs than my old suit), and so I can get away with a higher head position than I can swimming "skins". In any case, in open water you have to worry about sighting too, so I guess you're always going to be a bit more "head up".
Mike A
Mike A

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike A Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:30 pm

cottmiler wrote:SA, your streamline plank video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=afLqay5L95Q
Whilst I agree with some of the points he makes there, it must be pointed out that the plank is not a representative model. A flat plank, as well as the bow-fronted plank, will float level, because the centre of buoyancy coincides with the centre of gravity. With a human - particularly a human male - typically the centre of gravity is around the hips, whilst the centre of buoyancy is around the chest. That is the root of the body-balance problem for humans, and it isn't a problem suffered by planks of wood!
Mike A
Mike A

Back to top Go down

Post by SA Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:13 pm

there is a difference between actively lifting the head with the arms to get to air (drowning instinct reaction)
which obviously pivots the legs down because you are pushing water down at the front.

The other way of lifting the head is simply reshaping your vessel, making it a bit hollow boat like. WITHOUT PUSHING EXTRA WATER DOWN with the arms..
THis way the head lifts out of the water, its heavier and it sinks again while lifting the legs up if you hold the right posture. You have to let the body find its new balance position with the head tilted a bit up.
Its the same as having an arm out of the water at the front, that sinks the front down.
It seems you need some flexibility to not arch the back while you lift the head. You must just pivot the head and upper back while pushing the chest in the water like a boat front. (or like a pinquin).
Nightcrawler already has that posture.
Its the opposite of a computer slave position/posture.
try it for a mirror, it feels like you are bending backwards a lot, but if you check in the mirror you are probably almost straight. This with a flat lower back isnt a bad swim posture. It isnt very comfortable I agree.

if you change your head position from dryland position to aquatic posture position you also raise the head center of mass relative to the rest of the body. The difference is you dont combine it with tilting the head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmx4nctdyFsup.
So this is actually lifting the head to improve balance.(and breathing)

SA

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:17 am

smootharnie solved this a while ago when he said that you need to adjust your neck.

If you stand with your back to a wall and try to push the back of your neck to touch the wall then this action enables your head to adopt the correct position for it ride higher in the water and weight the front of the body down and legs up.

It,s the same action as Richard Quick,s "Grow your monkey bump!"

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by SA Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:01 am

Exactly Cottmiler.
But you see how uncomfortable this head position is for us with forward bended postures.
When looking at the street how some people walk. Their head bouncing up and down 20 cm in front of their spine.
TI says let the head hang weightless in the water. If you have such a distorted posture (like most have) clearly your body will not be in a straight line from head to toes.
Knowing how it should be done and doing it yourself is regrettably not the same. Sad

SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down