THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestion for Forum Re-arrangement

3 posters

Go down

Suggestion for Forum Re-arrangement Empty Suggestion for Forum Re-arrangement

Post by cottmiler Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:10 am

As a long time learner, it has taken a lot of time trying to unravel the immense spaghetti nest that is called "how to swim well".

It has finally dawned on me that the problem has been made so difficult because we have been thoroughly confused between swimming in a pool as against open water.
We all do a bit of both but sometimes we come to blows over what is relevant or otherwise when we put forward our views and experiences. In calm fresh pool water with no other bodies around then certain fancy drills will be excellent. Sea water and river/lake water are different again and demand very different techniques.

It would certainly clarify my understanding if we could develop the two branches of good swimming well, separately.

Therefore I suggest we divide the forum into two forums, one on each subject.

What does the Team think?

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Suggestion for Forum Re-arrangement Empty Re: Suggestion for Forum Re-arrangement

Post by SA Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:37 am

Maybe a section where only the different side of techniques of rough water swimming are discussed?

SA

Back to top Go down

Suggestion for Forum Re-arrangement Empty Re: Suggestion for Forum Re-arrangement

Post by Sprinter Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:50 pm

For me the main dividing line is between, hm, let's say "speed-oriented swimming" versus "non-speed-oriented swimming". Or "competitive" versus "recreational". Or "faster than 1:30 per 100m" versus "slower", etc.

I think these distinctions mix up / distort the discussions much more than the open-water-aspect. If it is just about chatting, fine -- but if information is to be created and transported, then the extreme differences should be reflected.

An alternative would be to mark each contribution with its aspect, say, "open-water", "pool", "fast swimming" etc.

Sprinter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprinter Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Perhaps one could introduce a basic "signature" for each member of the forum, with information about swimming experience, various categories for abilities etc. Then the reader would know "who speaks" (concerning the relevant categories).

Sprinter

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:49 am

sprinter, I have added/saved info onto my "signature" in "Profile" but nothing has happened.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down