THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The linitations of the sculling drill

2 posters

Go down

The linitations of the sculling drill Empty The linitations of the sculling drill

Post by SA Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:04 pm

There are 2 guys in my pool that swim faster than me on longdistances and they have the same kind of stroke. Think thrashing triathlon type.
Its not a pretty stroke, They hardly have a kick. The legs drag behind the body a bit lifeless and one guy drags his legs a foot under the water surface even if he uses a Pull buoy.
Yet, they jump in, no warmup, no drills, start at 1.35/100m pace,  stop after 3-4 km and are gone again.
It looks like a energetic walk on the threadmill for them.
I am pretty certain my balance is better, kicktiming is good, hip rotation,  and arm mechanics are reasonable.
Yet I knew these guys have something working thats not working optimally in my stroke.

There are 3 things that are discussed all the time by coaches everywhere

. balance, streamline getting the drag down
- high elbow catch
- hip drive. power from the hips

So people start to work on balance,  sculling  drills to get a feel for the high elbow catch, and swim bottom up to drive the stroke from the hips and kick.

Whats the missing part?
All the active in-trunk muscle action to bridge the distance between hips and high elbow.
Maybe people with more swim talent get this automatically especially if you are already a shoulder driven swimmer, but if you have some overgliding tendencies this part of the puzzle may be missing on the radar screen.
When you start focus on this part you start to see it missing in a lot of swimmers.
To fire up the trunk muscles between hips and shoulders and to use that hip action whiloe adding extra controlled trunk action,  first step is to rotate the shoulders on top of the hip roll.
Never couild relate to Jonos stroke. Didnt really understand how he swims.
By limiting the hip roll and increasing the shoulder roll his stroke suddenly made more sense.
It also alters your catch mechanics  and timing. It slow down the part before cacth a bit and releases more power when the catch is set and you uncoil the shoulders relative to hips.
Traction is also better, increasing strokelenght even if you introduce more stroke overlap.
We have to wait if this new trick is only a fad or that it really ttranslates to more speed.

To get a feel for it, these where my inspirational clips.

To combine the exagerated hook on the water shown from 1 min 15. with extra shoulder roll.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_910888293&feature=iv&src_vid=ZSNPrvLj7as&v=mL_OSDV4ZlA

Great shoulder roll arm mechanics and timing at 1 min30  in Jono style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3p3RUF6vKg

Who can do the board under hips drill?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSaoMJnBTOQ

Last edited by SA on Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

SA

Back to top Go down

The linitations of the sculling drill Empty Re: The linitations of the sculling drill

Post by cottmiler Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:31 pm

SA, were you planning to append some drill videos as your penultimate sentence suggests?

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

The linitations of the sculling drill Empty Re: The linitations of the sculling drill

Post by SA Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:53 pm

be patient Cott, have to find all those clips in my unorganized bookmarks.

SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down