THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fed up with drills and intervals! Any sound offerings?

3 posters

Go down

Fed up with drills and intervals! Any sound offerings? Empty Fed up with drills and intervals! Any sound offerings?

Post by nightcrawler Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:23 am

I have been doing these drills almost more than 10 years, there is no considerable improvement in my speed. There must be something to improve the pace, but I am sure that this is neither doing drills nor doing broken or descending sets, I can surely say that these are all waste of time.

World champion Axel Reymond is swimming the 25K with 1:12 pace on 5 hours 2 minutes. For this distance my sustainable pace is around 1:25 (very poor). Of course I cant swim sub 1:15 pace but at least I should swim with a moderate pace like 1:18/100m for 5K distance, this is my "modest" success criterion for 25-50 years old amateur men. I am not exaggerating or putting high expectations or goals, as is seen/understood that between a world champion and an amateur swimmer 15 seconds difference is still a very big difference and moreover serves to purpose and never makes you a champion but it is a good time for an amateur. I have been swimming over 30+ years(first 15 years with coaches + for 15 years self). I started swimming when I was 5 but didnt swim between my 12-16 ages due to my lessons at the school but restarted swimming at 16 and have been doing it since then without any break, swimming around 1500km in a year, if there is someone who deserves 1:18 pace, this should be I, isnt it? But I have been deadlocked between 1:22-1:25 paces for 5K since the year 1998 and not happy with this. So instead of drills I need something different that creates  Crying or Very sad difference and progress in my pace. Any offerings?

Last edited by nightcrawler on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Fed up with drills and intervals! Any sound offerings? Empty Re: Fed up with drills and intervals! Any sound offerings?

Post by nightcrawler Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Stefan Nystrand 50m ex-world record holder, was swimming with 1:00 pace (30secs per 50m) with slow pace and with 48 strokes per minute(22 strokes per lap), he is not kicking so much also not pulling so hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbb2MkBtN20

And my phootage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRTwpzI8bkg

What makes him faster?

Better extension?
Better balance?
More ridgit torso?
More efficient kick and pull mechanics?

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Fed up with drills and intervals! Any sound offerings? Empty Re: Fed up with drills and intervals! Any sound offerings?

Post by cottmiler Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Is it possible that he has better hand acceleration under water?

Perhaps you have reached the limit of teaching yourself.

We did have an ex Olympian on the forum but he probably can,t be bothered with our petty ramblings.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Correction: World champion Axel Reymond is swimming the 25K with 1:12 pace on 5 hours 2 minutes.

only 13 seconds per 100m between him and me, with continuous hard working within 5 years i can swim sub 1:20 Smile)

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by SA Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:23 pm

improve the traction and strength of your frontend. You know my opinion on how to do that by now.

SA

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Stefan Nystrand took 12 or 13 hand pulls per length.

That is a big distance per stroke for a 25 m pool.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:45 pm

genetics: he is 1.95 i m 1.75 tall, we cant turn palio into ferrari, i m a looser.

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down