THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paddle Problems

2 posters

Go down

Paddle Problems Empty Paddle Problems

Post by cottmiler Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:48 am

I noticed the other day that a fellow swimmer (bit younger than me) was powering up and down the lane with dinner plate sized paddles.  Frequently he uses a pull buoy to hutch the legs a bit higher.

He had a nice strong open water stroke and indeed participates in local events and is very keen to improve since he enjoys the challenge.

I suggested he tried my Finis Freestyler and also the Agility paddles.  He did a couple of laps with each and he was very happy with them.

I couldn’t help but notice that with every type of paddle he was swimming uphill.  The angle of his body was least with the smallest Freestylers but maybe 40 degrees with the Dinner plates.

Since I was short of time I mentioned this and it may prove to be a light bulb moment for him!

Now where is my spare ankle band?

Last edited by cottmiler on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Paddle Problems Empty Re: Paddle Problems

Post by nightcrawler Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:14 am

Ankle band drill wont be useful itself if there arent proper arm mechanics.
In order to raise the hip above the arm recovery should be from above the head. And in order to do the arm recovery above head there should be shoulder and back muscles(supraspinatus, teres major, latismus dorsi, rhomboid) flexibility.
https://goswimtv-production.s3.amazonaws.com/2017/05/30/14/44/58/720/060217_Kara_HDR.jpeg
Tell him to try this; if he cant do this, then he should spend some time(3-6 months maybe 1 year) with dry land exercises for stretching the back muscles.

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum