Why do I swim around to the left?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why do I swim around to the left?

Post by cottmiler on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:31 am

There are two little bits of this on the video and you can see that I swim over to the left in a curve.

https://youtu.be/5lVeXEJU5Wg

In open water it,s not good to swim in curved lines and I,ve always thought it was because my right arm pull is stronger.

I think I solved it yesterday. What do you think?

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do I swim around to the left?

Post by Sprinter on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:37 am

On that video it looks like you have a cross-over at arm entry, with both arms?
You are swinging in from the sides, and then it looks as if, due to the energy, you are crossing over.

Sprinter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:42 am

You're in Perth I see cm. Welcome back. Looks a bit seaweedy down at Cott?

I tend to curve in the opposite direction to breathing, i.e. breathe right, curve left. It sort of evens out in ows as I usually breathe 25 left, then 25 right to mirror how I train in the pool. I think it is more prominent when it's choppier as I tend to rotate more under those conditions.

I've done a couple of 5k's this season so far and have managed to find feet and let them worry about it! Smile Occasional checks to make sure they're not way off target, but I think the gain in drafting (even if not perfectly straight) outweighs having to sight every 5-10 strokes and the effect that has on your speed.

I'm "resting" this weekend but there is a 1.25k, 2.5k, 5k on Sat and a 10k on Sun.

gw

gregorywannabe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:37 am

This is probably irrelevant!  But this article throws a bit more light on some brain "oddities": -

www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2013/12/02/248089436/the-truth-about-the-left-brain-right-brain-relationship

When my little Cairn Terrier was, unknown to us, having a stroke with bleeding into his little brain - during the last few hours before his final collapse, he continually, as I walked him, kept on walking as normal by my right side then would turn coming closer to me and turning anti clock-wise -  i.e. to his left - walk back a few steps in the direction we had just come from - stop, then realize something was wrong, and would then come back to me, moving in the forward direction.  The vet said "Ah that shows that the bleeding is into the <(I cant remember the detail)> side of his brain."  

Sadly, Barney (almost 13) lost control of his legs within 12 hours and was unable to stand - so the final injection was administered!  Needless to say he left a great "hole" in our lives and we miss him dreadfully - too old now to "take on" another dog for companionship - I couldn't "walk" him very far now - too wobbly!

Don Wright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:24 am

I reckon Sprinter is on the button. Especially the right arm is swinging across the centreline. Playing about in the river just now, it seems I also splay the right hand out as if to balance when breathing. By entering this hand more pinky first, it cured that problem.

Thanks greg for the welcome. Cott was murkey and not nice that day. Hopefully better tomorrow. Today we had a little swim with Paul Newsome,s squads which was good and tried some new Finis paddles. I seem to be a long way off any OW races from the fitness point of view.

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mushroomfloat on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Generally it is head movement, where the head goes the body goes, keep it rock straight especially when returning the face back down after a breath.

Also arms swinging in to what looks like crossing the centre at full extension, enter shoulderwidth and knife out wider pinky first during the extension.

Your other video in the pool with the ankle band looks like you are swimming with the arms and not from the torso, use the torso to turn the arms over (there is a point after exit about 1/3 into the recovery when the torso will throw the arm forward automatically as it rotates from hip up to hip starting to roll down
keep the abs braced tight to experience this.

mushroomfloat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike A on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:14 pm

I wouldn't underestimate the potential effect of the sea current there, Cottie. Definitely looks like there's a drift towards your left.
Mike A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top