Swimming with an Ankle Band - again!

Go down

Swimming with an Ankle Band - again!

Post by cottmiler on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:39 am

I was pleased to see Paul Newsome of SwimSmooth putting his squad through their paces wearing ankle bands:

A 68 year old:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfHzSYqAcyK/

A 17 year old:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfHyh94AuM1/

My buddies at the pool this morning would do better by trying this. They work so hard but are swimming up hill. One with dinner plate sized paddles and Silvercap needing so much leg kick.

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Swimming with an Ankle Band - again!

Post by nightcrawler on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:12 am

Hi Cottmiler,
As an open water swmmer I am also aware of the fact that kicking hard is not a key for a better sustainable pace in long distance events, so that in my workouts I have been almost kicking anymore for 4-5 years, legs just dangling behind or in faster laps legs just doing small flutter kicking.

Let me tell an another issue; doing tuble turns in the workouts is limiting the open water performance. Yes, true, I realized this a couple of weeks ago. When I do open turns (touch the hand and throw the arm) my sustainable tempo decreases from 1:21 to 1:23, but in this case I have less oxygen dept and this less oxygen dept stimulates me to focus on increasing my swim tempo, I can increase my SPM from 75-77 to 81-83 (tempo trainer mode1 0.73), in other words, I have potential to develop a better aerobic condition which leads to faster average pace. As a result, with open turnsif I can sustain the same pace with open turns that I do with tumble turns (1:21), this means that my swim pace becomes 2 seconds faster and thus I will have more advantage in the open water.

Waiting for your comments.

Regards,
Emrah

Note: We can discuss this topic under another session, Cottmiler you may create another topic if it does interest.

nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am

nightcrawler wrote:...As an open water swmmer I am also aware of the fact that kicking hard is not a key for a better sustainable pace in long distance events, so that in my workouts I have been almost kicking anymore for 4-5 years, legs just dangling behind or in faster laps legs just doing small flutter kicking...

Are you bods discovering something that I've suspected for a long time - viz, for some of us (um! that's me!) you can get some forward motion from good "helical" body action (quick/smooth twisting of the torso?!) and leaving the legs idle.  By "helical I mean a vigorous roll towards the arm entering the water as "one throws oneself forwards" during the latter part of the arm recovery, just leaving the legs "to do their own thing".  This of course just "equates" to doing a 2-beat kick!

Not sure where the apparent improvement in motion comes from - but after trying the suggestion of slowing down the arm action in order to concentrate on increasing DPS  - it seemed to me that the key to better movement, was not so much any "helical" body action, but just the old idea of "throwing oneself forwards" just prior to each arm's water entry - all as part of the latter stage of arm recovery (accelerated?) - after all the inhalation has probably finished by the time the hand of the recovering arm passes the head (says he as an "inhale on the arm up-sweep" style bod).

Don Wright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down