Bopov - some guidance

Go down

Bopov - some guidance

Post by cottmiler on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 pm

So named because of his excellent above water recovery - after Alexander Popov.  

Arriving at our North of England holiday resort Bopov welcomed us since he had been following us here on theswimforum.palstani whilst we were swimming in Australia.

He asked me to take a look at his swim stroke.  

Under water, we forget the Popov similarity.  Observation showed up various inefficiencies that this fine swimmer could not see for himself.  He is a swim study student and knows his stuff from the internet.

Firstly, his left hand strayed a bit too wide.  This seems to be down to insufficient body roll onto that side.  Although he swims very well, surprisingly he doesn’t do bilateral breathing.  Secondly, he pulls with too straight an arm.  Thirdly, the errors here necessitate a big wide leg kick.  The leg action was very strong since it came from the hips and his feet provided good propulsion.  His legs were incredibly straight too which is good.

To improve on these errors because he is a perfectionist like me, I suggested some Unco.  Easy and hard Unco.  This he grasped quickly and could see the benefit of this drill.

Then some “layout” drill where you tap the water behind you before the recovery, like Ian Thorpe.

Today I subjected him to the ankle band!  This really sorts the sheep from the goats.  Predictably, after a couple of strokes the legs gravitated to the bottom of the pool.  

This  sinky leg syndrome is caused by incorrect hand action under water.  A quick description of EVF was needed and some intermediate drills have given him something to work on himself.  Fortunately, he could do an impressive side body float as a basic requirement of good swimming.  After persuading him to do a bunch of laps with the ankle band, he was beginning to get it!

Finally, Mrs Cott demonstrated the “Egyptian Crawl” which utterly discombobulated him!

It was a pleasure to work with such a capable and comprehending swimmer and to see such immediate improvement!

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bopov - some guidance

Post by Don Wright on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:06 am

Quite delightful! At first, I thought your topic name had started with an accidental "typo" error! Razz

Don Wright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:12 am

Bopov said that he enjoyed reading your posts and how knowledgeable you were.

When he gets his computer mended I hope he will join us here.

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:09 pm

Am not very happy with my decreasing "proprioception" ability,  think I know the bodily movements I want/ought to make - but somehow getting my body to co-operate with my planned intents seems to be getting more difficult!

Think I mis-diagnosed my shoulder problem (which mercifully doesn't worry me much when swimming - "unaware" of it 'cos there is much else to think about).  Thought it was a repeat of an old "rotator cuff" injury,  but now think it's just the common osteo-arthritic aches/pains, can feel it in my right shoulder blade area and spine (won't mention the other grotty bits Rolling Eyes ).  Ah well, must keep plodding on - until it all seizes up!  The Glucosamine stuff doesn't seem to help - I take it more in hope than belief that it may help.  The "jury is still out" in my case, regarding the supposed benefit of taking of fish oil (a spoonful of Cod Liver Oil gulped quickly down before attacking my cereals in the morning)!

Don Wright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum