Total Immersion Coaches

Go down

Total Immersion Coaches

Post by cottmiler on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:16 am

Here is a nice video showcasing the effortless endurance method of swimming from the Total Immersion technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAFli6CVFCg

They all show excellent body balance and streamlining which takes considerable learning.

Once this is mastered I think the catchup timing of the front hands meeting could be changed so as to reduce the glide segment and increase general speed.

As one of these coaches said over on the T.I forum, you won't get optimum speed without the body line being good, as shown here.

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Total Immersion Coaches

Post by Sprinter on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 pm

They all have in my opinion just some average body-position.

1. Cameron 0:10
Going up and down; too low in the water; excessive rotation, especially bad when breathing (where the arm drops to the floor and has little propulsion, e.g. 0:21)
2. Ericks 0:25
Too low in the water, bad streamlining of legs (knees standing out; see e.g 0:40)
3. McDougal 0:44
Bad streamlining of legs (e.g. 0:54; especially with the right leg; and that with a non-propulsive kick); arms creating much frontal drag; hips perhaps a bit low, but not as much as with the previous ones
4. M McDougal 1:01
more streamlined then No 3, for both arms and legs, but this at the expense of very little propulsion; also the kicking-problem, especially left leg
5. Evans 1:23
no under-water recording; but the typical overrotation and slow swimming (such a style can not scale, can not be accelerated)
6. Vanscoy 1:39
Hips and legs too low, especially with the breathing; too much head movement

In all cases you can see how the overrotation creates additional drag, and this will become more pronounced with higher frequency, since then the rotation creates more turbulences, and the hose which is formed as the hull of the rotating body has then more resistance.

Often hanging too low in the water, and the knees creating additional frontal drag (without any compensation by a propulsive kick). Actually only one shows a very low-hanging arm (no 3), which from my experience is a rather common problem with TI-followers.

All reasonable, but nothing excellent. Often body line too low, and too bent (legs and arms not streamlined, and that without compensation).

Sprinter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprinter on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Was searching for videos of good coaches where I have personal experience (that is, where they swim themselves and demonstrate good swimming).

Richard Stannard (around London), found only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrE-GD1Zc3o
but you can see him swimming a bit (first a bad example).

Holger Luening: many videos, but all contain either talking or fun, no real swimming.
Plus videos where he shows that "effortless swimming" is cheating (e.g. starting at 0:55 at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOHx6sE_6iY to demonstrate that at relatively slow speed "effortless swimming" is easy --- but that requires that you can swim MUCH faster, only then can you swim "effortless" at slower speed).
So unfortunately no video of him swimming real. (It seems that in his videos he feels the need to make a show.)

Sprinter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down