Sighting in Open Water

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sighting in Open Water

Post by cottmiler on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:07 am

Started the new project of brushing up OW skills by doing a few experiments in the river yesterday.

It ocurred to me that I should separate breathing from sighting by doing a few water polo strokes with a closed mouth every 5th stroke. A single head lift doesn,t give enough time to look ahead.

Next, I need to do this in the pool and time the lap and see how much I am slowed down. Ideally, I shouldn't be slowed at all by sighting.

But the real challenge is to do this to the tempo trainer set at say 67 spm and see if it all happens like clockwork!

I'll let you know what happens at Claremont Pool later this morning.

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sighting in Open Water

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:13 am

In squad we practise sighting regularly . Usually 200m sight 3 times a length.Just left head only the eyes above the surface still in exhaling part of the stroke head back in rotate and breath to the side.
If you have had a good look at land marks befor getting in the water you will find just a glimpse is enough and if you dont see first time take another glimpse a few strokes later. The lingering for a longer look destroys rhythm.
We also do some water polo but that is much harder work!

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:55 am

In the pool, I lost only one or two seconds per 50 m lap whilst sighting after every three right hand pulls. No change in tempo at 67 spm either.

This was this arvo in the river:

https://youtu.be/h848FL7I0P0

I did do 100 km of water polo the other summer whichno doubt has helped.

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike A on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:42 pm

Last year I learned 3 things about sighting in open water.
1. I need prescription goggles if the buoys are small
2. In the sea, you sometimes won't see a damn thing when you go to sight, because a wave is in the way. You just have to keep popping up until you can see a buoy. Or trust that everyone else knows where they're going!
3. If there's a strong, low sun, you can mentally fix the position of it (say, 11 o'clock) when you sight - then keep an eye on its position as you swim, because you can usually see the light without lifting your face from the water. Unless you swim ridiculously straight, you will still need to sight from time to time, but it means you can do a lot more strokes in between sights without drifting far off course.
Mike A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top