Torpedo drills

Go down

Torpedo drills

Post by Don Wright on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:10 pm

I thought "going back to basics" might be a good idea in my case - so I had a look at what seemed available for "Torpedo Drill" in which one flutter kicks with the arms at the sides, while keeping the head in a fixed position (looking down at the bottom if on the tum - until one needs to inhale - or up at the pool roof if on the back) and rotating the shoulders clock/anti-clockwise as if normal FS swimming, except making the body rotation almost 90 degrees each way below the surface. Clips like :-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBvODXpZTHc

To my disgust, I found that it wasn't so easy to snatch a breathe when required - lying too low in the water to clear my mouth above the water line.  Ah well, perhaps more practice is the answer to that - or is it that oldies don't have such good buoyancy due to gradual loss of effective lung capacity - water-logged lungs. Rolling Eyes  Laughing  Another possible reason, might be that since I swim wearing BS, the closed-cell neoprene panels give some lift to the hip area (bumped-up in the middle?), but the head/tail end end may be slightly lower  - so without using the arms, inhalation could be a bit more difficult when on the tum!

Last edited by Don Wright on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Don Wright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Torpedo drills

Post by cottmiler on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:24 pm

I can sympathise since I find that Bregor (see thread) lies a good way under water and just cannot rotate head to look at ceiling to breathe. I can do it though.. He needs to use fins throughout his weekly training sessions which really help him.

We recently saw Bopov (see thread) and his Total Immersion style is very good indeed compared to a year ago. Maybe he needs a 110 degree arm bend as he pulls a bit too deep. He is a Tai Chi exponent which might explain his Cirque du Soleil flexibility. He simply loved the Finis Agility paddles..

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:56 am

Hi "cott..."!  There is another clip - which I won't fuss over providing a link - in which the demo chap doesn't attempt to do an inhalation while doing "torpedo drill", but breaks into full FS stroking, so the arm action helps get that inhalation on the arm up-sweep - then back into the "torpedo" stuff again!

Your mention of fins, made me wonder if I ought to try them again - since my flutter kicking is so rubbishy (only ever tried them once before - unsuccessfully!) .  As long as I can get the sort that do not exert too much pressure on my arthritic insteps when doing kick downbeats, they might help improve matters.  Have you any "recommends"? - the very "floaty" ones your wife tried, don't seem to be suitable for me - but I would think ones which didn't make my feet appear more than about 14" long (at a guess!) might do the trick.

I've tried using a front snorkel - so one can keep the eyes looking at the bottom all the time.  But I never felt happy with my ability to take in sufficient air, fast enough, through the narrow breathing tube - it was only OK for just a few minutes of swimming at a time. I wonder if that problem was due to there still being some stale air in the narrow breathing tube as I tried to draw in fresh air - a cumulative effect?

Last edited by Don Wright on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Don Wright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:17 am

The floaty Phelps fins are 14 inches long and flexible.

The 14 inch heavy Maru fins are very rigid and painful if your ankles don,t bend back. However, stiff ankle Bregor does use them because it stops him doing a breast stroke leg kick with the crawl.

Mrs Cott is happy with the floaty ones now but it is still a heavy action with the feet and ankles.

Both types are quite a physical effort to put on and off, not to mention balance problems when in the pool on one leg

How about a Monofin!

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:30 am

cottmiler wrote:The floaty Phelps fins are 14 inches long and flexible.
The  14 inch heavy Maru fins are very rigid and painful if your ankles don,t bend back.  However, stiff ankle Bregor does use them because it stops him doing a breast stroke leg kick with the crawl.
Mrs Cott is happy with the floaty ones now but it is still a heavy action with the feet and ankles.
Both types are quite a physical effort to put on and off, not to mention balance problems when in the pool on one leg
How about a Monofin!

Thank you "cott..."! The ones I tried unsuccessfully before were fairly rigid - so I'll give that sort "a miss". Think I'll try the "floaty" Phelps ones, to see how I get on. There are a series of widening steps down into the 20m DW leisure pool I use, so I can sit on those steps while getting the fins on/off - without loosing my balance! As for the monofin - "naw!" - that's for fly efforts! Smile

Don Wright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:14 am

The other thing to try is the Flee Drill which I mention in the thread of 29 Dec 2016.

This is Crawl arm stroke and Butterfly leg kick.

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks for the tip "cott"!

I read that "swimcoachingblog" that mentions "Flee" drill (plus others) - quite interesting!

I regularly do a couple of lengths of a (GoSwim?) drill, using FS arm action but leaving the legs together, free to waggle as they wish - so that's "not far off" from the "Flee Drill". Then I follow that on, with another couple of lengths doing my FS arm action, but with a vigorous quick down-thrust of the hip, as the arm on that side makes water entry, without any explicit kicking.  (I do tend to like leaving the legs free to waggle since my flutter kicking is so poor, with stiff ankles!) I was recently disappointed to discover that, when swimming the latter, my efforts doing it - which I formerly thought was one of my "fastest" FS "variants"  - got out-done by a decent swimmer in the adjacent lane using a proper flutter kick, inching past me!!!

I had a decko at some of the other fins on the market - some of which were quite pricey.  As I may not "take to" using them - I won't splash out too much on getting some - maybe I can leave a little hint for Santa Claus (aka wife or daughter)! Smile

Having further thoughts about  : -
cottmiler wrote:Mrs Cott is happy with the floaty ones now but it is still a heavy action with the feet and ankles.
Of course kicking with the added resistance caused by "clowns oversized feet", is bound to require extra effort.  Hmmm!, hope I'll be able to manage that. Maybe fins with longer flexible blades might be better - so that the longer blades do a mini-undulation when only small leg action is applied - judging by some scuba diver clips I've seen! like : -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOtxi5vnic8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6kahpExPGc

Don Wright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down