Flee Drill with Fists

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flee Drill with Fists

Post by cottmiler on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:11 am

I believe that the mystery ingredient in the top swimmers DNA is the skill of superb timing throughout the whole stroke.

Most of us cannot do a decent serve at tennis or a double somersault on a trampoline because our timing is faulty.

Half way down the page of our Olympic forum member's blog he mentions the Flee Drill.

https://swimcoachingblog.com/2013/03/12/frontcrawl-timing-pt-1-arms-and-legs/

As the resident clown here, I tried a few laps and with closed fists. I believe it's useful because the arm action and breathing has to fit in with the regular dolphin kick. That's where we can see timing errors.

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flee Drill with Fists

Post by SA on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:43 pm

its only one piece of the ¨puzzle , but an important one. That guy writes good stuff by the way.

Swimming with one fin is also a nice way to work on your kicktiming.

SA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swimcoachingblogger on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:41 am

That guy writes good stuff by the way. wrote:
Thank you. It means a lot.

If you are trying the FLEE drill you are going for advanced drills.  The name was made up by a comment by a swimmer on the GB national team when I was working with her.  She really liked the drill and called it Flee drill, so it stuck.  (FLy + frEE)  

If you do get the timing right in FLEE you will certainly have the main feeling of timing correct.  You don't have to use fists in this drill but you can.  The drill forces you to make timing correct because kicking at the wrong time feels very weird, especially in this drill, and it is very detrimental to have incorrect timing in your normal stroke.  I didn't invent this drill but use it.  Alex Popov's coach used it a lot with him and also with Michael Klim.

What is VERY good is to try new things.  Being a clown gives you the right idea because you give yourself the freedom of whatever happens happens. if you were a kid you wouldn't think twice about trying anything new, which is why they learn so fast.  So if you want to learn you have to put to the side 'how you look' and just go with 'trying to get it', looking odd the whole way is necessary.  Only adults stop part way through a length that is obviously going wrong (a statement I don't use a the pool...there is no 'wrong' just 'not quite right yet') so I tell them to keep trying, keep trying, keep trying...then they get it.  Many coaches make the mistake of saying what the stroke should look like.  How can a swimmer do that?

swimcoachingblogger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:04 am

Gary's sequence is a progression into the Egyptian Crawl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVCjbTX7eqs

This defeated me some years ago but after this morning's Flee Drill with Fists it went a little bit better (with fists).

Mrs Cott finds this much easier and was showing off her Egyptian Crawl to the pool attendants.

cottmiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SA on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:46 am

Hey swimblogger,
it seems we share the same enjoyment of looking at youtube swimvideos.
It can be so interesting to look at some swimmers with weird swimstyles and trying to imagine what the hell they are doing.
Someone put this young Thorpe clip on youtube and its a pure goldmine of swim info. Every action and reaction is purposefull and connected.  This guy understands swimming like few others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHszSCgMkpU
His 3 stage 2BK also is neat little solution for combining his arm action with a low effort kick.

Personally  I found waterpolo with a 2BK the best way to get the right kicktiming, It so obvious if you get it right or not swimming this way. Its  pretty fun to go bang bang from side to side in waterpolo style. Falling, bouncing and hopping over.

What do you think of shoulder roll build upon hip roll?  I am totally hooked on it now,  after being taught to rotate the body as one unit, which feels like leaving a lot of potential untouched now.

About your experience with the dwarf swimster. Probably you have seen it before, but its some good swimming and a great race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewj5DzXWn7U

Last edited by SA on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

SA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SA on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Cottmiler, although we only have avarage swim DNA, its still fun to improve on our own slow pace isnt it?

SA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swimcoachingblogger on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:42 pm

The Thorpe video is interesting but his style is conducive to his body type, emulating him would be difficult. Also the way he swims slow if different to the way he swims fast but there is no question that he is amazing to watch. I find that 'catch-up' style only suits swimmers who have super-human kicks. He certainly fills that bill. Contrast with Janet Evans who did a 4:03 for her 400m free in Seoul (2:02-2:01). Jonty Skinner told me that in Colorado before Seoul the coaches ridiculed her stroke but when they did an efficiency test in the flume she was 98% efficient. Next closest was 90%. If my memory serves me!
Thanks for the clip on Lizzie Simmons, she is Rosie's hero. Some day she hopes to race her. So where does that leave us? Well, Simmons did a 5:19 for a 400 so anyone with longer arms and legs should have that as a goal.
I don't watch too many YouTube videos but I encourage all my swimmers to do it. Learning through observation is an excellent way and I think the most effective. However there are many things that a video can't show; coach interaction, steps towards the final technique, confidence etc etc. I enjoy seeing a swimmer for the first time and thinking of them as a blank canvas. What stroke would work for them, why do they swim the way they do, what does it feel like to swim that way. And then what is the crux of their stroke which could assist to make it more efficient.

swimcoachingblogger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SA on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:28 am

How did they measure that and what does it mean?
Efficiency in the swimming world has a whole different meaning as in the normal world.

I always thought Thorpe is a bad example to copy if you dont have a super propulsive kick (too much catchup?), but he swims quite a lot with a 2BK in training which looks just as good, so, maybe he can be a good example for weak kickers?

SA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swimcoachingblogger on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:07 am

By efficient I mean swim faster with the same effort or swim the same speed with less effort. To look smoother and to create less drag. Not easy to measure but heart rate or perceived exertion can help.

swimcoachingblogger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SA on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:35 am

drill no 5
http://www.yourswimlog.com/freestyle-drills/

and nr 15 opposite catchup
http://swim.de/training/schwimmtechnik/die-15-besten-technikuebungen-195/16

SA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:51 pm

We have been doing these drills for a quarter century maybe more, added no contribution to our pace, why, because to swim faster we must swim faster, so simple:)

Forget about artificial stuff as drills, do power sets such as 4*25m with 90℅-95℅ of vo2max and 1-1.5 or 1-2 recovery ratio among the reps, try to sustain the same SPL(DPS) you do in slow tempo, apply more kick and pull power to achieve this. You can find an example of this set here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz3gAsFiCGc

Wish you happy real life sets:)

nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top