THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 Drills guaranteed to Improve your Front Crawl

2 posters

Go down

5 Drills guaranteed to Improve your Front Crawl Empty 5 Drills guaranteed to Improve your Front Crawl

Post by cottmiler Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:21 pm

I finally got round to watching this 13 min video as I was put off by the start.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7wcis8jZM

However, it was worth sticking with it as he described some useful twiddly bits to each drill. The only one I could say I was competent at is the Fist Drill.

They were:
Fingertip trail
Extended Sharkfin
Broken Arrow
Fist Drill
Single arm with float

Can I remember some twiddly bits tomorrow?

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

5 Drills guaranteed to Improve your Front Crawl Empty Re: 5 Drills guaranteed to Improve your Front Crawl

Post by cottmiler Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:58 am

I worked through the 5 drills this morning doing several laps of each with the following interesting observations.

1. Fingertip trail. Surprisingly this forced the chest and head lower and the legs much higher which must be good for improved streamlining. Also the hands were relaxed and I was going very slowly anyway. I believe this is included in Total Immersion methods.

2. Extended Sharkfin. I didn’t quite keep good balance but enjoyed the breathing timing. After the arm goes back down by the side the stroke becomes Unco.

3. Broken Arrow. Oh dear, not very good. More study and work needed. Probably best to kick harder and slow it down.

4. Fist Drill. OK.

5. One arm drill with front float. Surprisingly arduous because the float raises the front of the body and lowers the legs deeper. This needed strong leg kicking .

I recommend these drills if you are a modest swimmer like me.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

5 Drills guaranteed to Improve your Front Crawl Empty Re: 5 Drills guaranteed to Improve your Front Crawl

Post by cottmiler Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:35 am

300 m of each drill today.

The Extended Shark fin is not so good when the right arm gesticulates in the air.

Broken Arrow still poor.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi Cotty,
Instead of wasting time with all these rubbish, I recommend you to find a 25m or a 50m pool and play with your stroke rate if you havent tried different stroke rates yet.

For example you can do the below set and observe what is happening, this will help you to find a optimum catch and pull technique:

(TT: stands for tempo trainer at mode 1)
Set01: 4x50m TT:0.90  R:10"
Set02: 4x50m TT:0.85  R:10"
Set03: 4x50m TT:0.80  R:10"
Set04: 4x50m TT:0.75  R:10"
Set05: 4x50m TT:0.70  R:10"
Set06: 4x50m TT:0.65  R:10"
Set07: 4x50m TT:0.60  R:10"

After each set get out and rest 30 seconds, during this period write your total time on a paper (net time will be total time - 30 seconds total recovery between the repetitions). If cannot start the set#1 with 0.90, then start with 1.00 and decrease the TT by 5 after each set.

I will be glad to read your results Smile

Last edited by nightcrawler on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:48 am

Thank you nightcrawler for your valued advice as always.

I did some cadence optimisation trials a couple of years ago (reported on SwimSmooth forum) and 75 spm was clearly the best.

However, my single lap time has always been poor and after a 2 month layoff from swimming (cruise Jan/Feb) my technique was inadequate upon return as shown by a video.

Every time I swim I learn something new and have a magical time in the water, just like Terry Laughlin of Total Immersion. The massaging effect of the water when I get the action right?

When I am in England I find it easier to do more drills than swimming and when in Australia I have the sea and river to swim in much more.

-0-

By the way, you might wish to look up the word "euphemism" which is a how better to replace a strong word like "rubbish" with a something like "ineffective". This is less confrontational and I mean this in the nicest way.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Thank you Cottmiler for your literary advices.

I dont want to beat the vinegrower, I want to present something usefull and cleanse you from the parasites like SS and TI, because everyone deserves the better. whn I see something useless, inefficient and wrong I cant keep myself correcting or showing the right way, this is my manner and mission (this is not for trade, not for any expectation, just for the sake of goodness).

Rubbish was the exactly what I meant but not for you personally, it was for the drills. No one can claim that drills will make you faster, if so, then there is something commercial behind this. Indeed drills makes no contribution on the swim speed. Terry(also his sibling Adam Walker) are claiming that swimming elegant and gentle will make you faster - believe me never! Swimming well is not swimming elegant but swimming fast and sustainable, all fast and efficent swimmers swim with splash stem from the power applied to the water.

If your pace is 1:00/100m, then naturally you will seem much more elegant with 1:10 pace, any objection? But if your pace is poor such as 1:45/100m, this doesnt mean that you will swim more elegant with 1:55 pace. Because both paces are very poor. On the other hand 1:10 is still a remarkable pace. So to be a better swimmer first we need to break some barriers such as 1:30, then 1:20, then 1:10 then 1:00 per 100m and become faster. Also while working out for reaching these paces you will surely find the right technique for yourself in your journey, drills dont let you discover the faster technique but target based workout does.

I know many swimmers in the pool who have been doing drills more than a decade, they have snorkels, paddles, pullbuoys, fins, and other weird equipments in their string bag. They have neither improvement in their pace nor in their sustainability yet. Because they have no target paces and no target pace workout plans.

All in all; being faster and more sustainable is only performed by race specific workouts. If you were a beginner it would be good for you to practice drills but you have also been swimming for many years and you have already done lots of drills thus know how to swim. After this time you need to get faster by doing some target based sets. The above stroke rate game is also a drill which stimulates and makes you get accustomed to your desired pace. There is a world outside and real swimmers dont swim in line with TI and SS directives, they even dont know what is SS or TI. Dont stuck between TI and swim smooth, through the medium of drills Terry and Paul are earning money, be sure that these are not for you. Drills are better to be done among the sets or after the sets (not before, because better to sepend the energy to the target based set in the beginnng of the workout session).

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down