THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should you Use a S- or I-Pull in Your Freestyle Stroke?

3 posters

Go down

Should you Use a S- or I-Pull in Your Freestyle Stroke? Empty Should you Use a S- or I-Pull in Your Freestyle Stroke?

Post by nightcrawler Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:34 am

Hi everyone,
I have been using I shaped (direct) pulling pattern with high elbow catch and pullthrough in freestyle for about 6-7 years. I took lots of meddals with this technique, bu I cannot improve more, so that I began to question and try S shaped pull again with which I used to swim between the years 1988-2011.

I read some articles and the below one became very reasonable for me:
http://www.swimmingscience.net/freestyle-stroke/

In this article they are concluding that:
"S-stroke is better suited for swimming middle and long distances where efficiency is required (propulsive power with less physical exertion), while the I-stroke is better for short distances, which depends on maximizing speed over a short distance when efficiency of energy expenditure is not important."

The below article also supports this:
http://www.triathlete.com/2013/07/training/is-the-high-elbow-pull-best-for-the-freestyle-swim-stroke_79164

Waiting for your comments.

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Should you Use a S- or I-Pull in Your Freestyle Stroke? Empty Re: Should you Use a S- or I-Pull in Your Freestyle Stroke?

Post by nightcrawler Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:06 pm

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Should you Use a S- or I-Pull in Your Freestyle Stroke? Empty Re: Should you Use a S- or I-Pull in Your Freestyle Stroke?

Post by cottmiler Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:07 pm

We have to go along with the "particle swarm optimisation algorithm" don't we?

92.3 strokes per minute.

-0-

Terry Laughlin of Total Immersion would like to hear that High Elbow pull reduces strokes per length.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by SA Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:46 pm

I have seen all that stuff a thousend times.
Show me good underwaterfootage of your differnt strokes and my hydromechanical engineering background combined with a life long being on the water will tell you what looks right and what needs improvement.

also trying this style now? scratch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T59xXe4E_O0

SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down