THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swimming Stretch Cord Exercises

2 posters

Go down

Swimming Stretch Cord Exercises Empty Swimming Stretch Cord Exercises

Post by nightcrawler Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Your catch in the swim is your key limiter to build strength in the swim. The more quickly you are able to rotate your shoulder and set up the pull, the better and efficient you’ll be. All athletes can afford to be stronger in the initial phase of their catch. As you are swimming more than three times a week, it is very beneficial to implement stretch-cord sessions of 10 – 15 min per week. You must use perfect form at all times with these exercises ( or any technical drill, for that matter). Focus on technique before trying to move quickly or under load. The learning progression for any new skill or movement pattern is the same.
Link: http://www.byrn.org/gtips/swimcords.htm

We were doing these pulling exercises in our childhood club years, i cant remember how they affected but asssume that you can do 3000 pulls in 30 minutes, this can provide a very sound stamina in a 3K race.

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Swimming Stretch Cord Exercises Empty Re: Swimming Stretch Cord Exercises

Post by nightcrawler Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Tonight i pulled my home made exergenie rope 1500 times (counted just one arm). Didnt focus on high elbow catch, set up my timer's beep to 60 seconds and pull 60 times on each beep. It is sweeting and felt a bit pain in my lats, scapula and triceps muscles. Then turned back and pulled 1500 times on the other side(as if i am extending inside the water by shifting legs like 2 beat kick), after doing this felt pain in my chest muscles too. I had done the same exercises with less repetitions before i participated in Datca winter swim marathon(5k) and it helped me to increase my watts spent per hour, distsnce per stroke, strength and durability. This time i m doing more reps on stress(limited time) and hoping better results. I think in a couple of weeks i may see the benefits.

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by SA Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:31 am

What force you use ? I have the red finis stretch cords I believe and after doing 50 high elbow pulls my shoulderjoint already starts to hurt. I must have torn some muscle years ago. Its always excactly the same place in the same shoulder.

I am a big believer in dryland muscle memory for beginners and above. When doing a lot of good form pulls on dryland, your body remembers the feeling if you make the same movement in the water right after the dryland.
Its good to make the right movement on dryland until the muscles get tired and start to hurt a bit.
This way its easier to imitate the movement in the water. You feel the same tired muscles again in the water, and know you are making the same (good) movement.
Do you agree on that?

SA

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:08 am

I am not concentrating on doing the right movement that i should do in the water on land, because whatever you do on land wont be the same in the water. I am pulling with straight arm in order to increase my paim and strength treshold.

I m doing the same exercise both by sing exergenie rope and also by theraband(the hardestest level with green color).

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down