THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sea Swim Training

4 posters

Go down

Sea Swim Training Empty Sea Swim Training

Post by cottmiler Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:46 am

My recent post on Open Water versus Pool swimming has made us decide to be more focused when we swim in the pool.

Our long time interest has been snorkelling and although we have done plenty of it, quite often there have been very dangerous situations where our swimming has not been strong enough and we are lucky to have survived. Recently though, fear of increasing shark numbers in Western Australia has limited our sea swim training.

Nevertheless being capable in sea situations is very important to us. We might even get to Antalya some time!

We do not wish to be pool competition swimmers doing diving and tumble turns. We have had a go and given it up as a bad job.

Therefore when we swim in the pool it is better for us to practise open water techniques.

-0-

Today we worked on polo but breathing to one side. Mrs Cott soon got the hang of it and it generally improved her body position in the water, with a higher head.

I was able to swim along the lane rope in both directions and noticed my legs liked being together. This was a good sign as it suggested that hand entry and body straightness were occurring. I soon grabbed my ankle band and completed the last 500 m doing polo with one side breathing.

This seems to be rather good training.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Sea Swim Training Empty Re: Sea Swim Training

Post by SA Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:51 pm

have you tried the easybreath already?
Swam a few laps with it, and never had a more wide screen vison underwater with  no fogging.
Works pretty good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHpMhqmAXEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4RB2mEHzME

SA

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:11 pm

Mrs Cott said "fantastic"!

It looks good.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi Cotmiler,
Arent there safe beaches without sharks (ie seperated with nets)?

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Netted areas are much more common over East but we plan to go to Perth (West) in December and the two netted areas are not easy to reach by bus. Unfortunately, Shelley's Open Water Tuesday has relocated to Coogee which we can't get to for 6am. She stopped using the Swan River (bull sharks?).

We like to swim at Cottesloe but people have become more nervous.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:28 pm

You are living in heaven but cant swim due to sharks. Damn!

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Say greetings to Shelly from me as a Turkish master open water swimmer, today there was Bosphorus channel swim marathon that she was invited last year. Smile

I havent been attending this race for 4 years because of protesting the Turkish Olympic Committee, there are people managing the organization who are not related with swimming, although they have sponsors they are taking money from the competitors for filling their pockets, growing their butts more and more.

http://bogazici.olimpiyatkomitesi.org.tr/Upload/Sonuclar/2017_Gender.pdf

http://bogazici.olimpiyatkomitesi.org.tr

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:52 pm

With a 3 knot current I would get swept away.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:01 am

cottmiler wrote:Netted areas are much more common over East but we plan to go to Perth (West) in December and the two netted areas are not easy to reach by bus.  Unfortunately, Shelley's Open Water Tuesday has relocated to Coogee which we can't get to for 6am.  She stopped using the Swan River (bull sharks?).

We like to swim at Cottesloe but people have become more nervous.

Any plans for entering any of the OWS events while you're here cm?

gw

P.S. Only one fatal bull shark attack in the Swan River in Jan 1923. Last reported attack back in 1973.

Very few white pointer attacks in the ocean have actually been on swimmers. And very few in the Perth city area beaches.
Most somewhere else along the coastline (20,000km long!) or many km offshore mainly surfers, divers, etc.
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/timeline-of-shark-attacks-along-the-western-australian-coast-20170418-gvn5jm.html

Each summer we always swim at Coogee on Sat mornings 8:00am (and sometimes Sun), not in the shark net,
but between the 2 jetties (coogee and woodman pt) 1.5km usually both ways (or more).

More chance of Tiger sharks at Coogee than Great Whites, Tiger's get caught off Woodman Pt jetty sometimes.

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 am

G'Day Greg!

Nice to hear from you. Last time we spoke you had some shoulder niggles.

I am thinking about it and as you know I have done Cottesloe Mile, Leighton Beach and XStrata Swan River a few times but in recent years haven't done anything because Shelley has moved Open Water Tuesdays from Matilda Bay.

My Perth rellies have given up OW races now which is a shame because we all helped each other.

When I first get to Cottesloe, I do some time trials between the groyne and the spike (200 m) and since my times have been poor in recent years I haven't entered any races. I did Cott to Swanbourne once.

I will do the time trials in early December 2017 and see what happens.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:47 am

Shoulder niggles are mainly gone thanks cm, touch wood.

I've got the volume up to 5 days a week totaling ~ 19.5km but am being careful
with the intensity. Probably only ~10x100m intervals each week, but a lot of reps
of 500m blocks consisting of 400m free at ~CSS pace (1:45 per 100m) and 50m back,
50m breast recovery.Rinse and repeat! Smile

The volume should increase a bit when I'm back in the ocean when it warms up a bit.
I'm hoping to do quite a few of the ows this upcoming summer (only 3 last season),
including a couple of 10k's.

I'm still thinking Rolling Eyes of a possible Rottnest Channel Swim but want to see how the
body holds up this season, and if all's good then maybe the year after. Cool

gw

P.S. If you can get to Coogee at all then the 1.5k between jetties is a good time trial

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:28 am

It's very inspiring to hear from you.

Regarding Rotto, Shelly sent invitations out a few weeks ago to join her training group (at some cost of course). I would have thought that could be useful.

http://openwaterswimmingmastery.com/

A young lady Gillian W from Shelley's group did the Cocos Island swim the other year. I didn't hear how she got on but the venue looked good on the internet.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:37 am

cottmiler wrote:It's very inspiring to hear from you.

Regarding Rotto, Shelly sent invitations out a few weeks ago to join her training group (at some cost of course).  I would have thought that could be useful.

http://openwaterswimmingmastery.com/

A young lady Gillian W from Shelley's group did the Cocos Island swim the other year.  I didn't hear how she got on but the venue looked good on the internet.

Can the coaches swim with a modest pace of 1:15/100m (i.e 18:45 for 1500m)?
If cannot, dont go to the swindlers and buffoons, even 12 year old girls can swim with 1:15 pace Smile

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:46 am

Yes, a group of us keep saying we should do the Cocos Islands some time.

We did do a SwimTrek (Greek Cyclades) in 2015. Fantastic!

Lots of local resources for to tap into for the Rotto Swim. The Rottnest Channel Swim Association puts on a seminar every year. I also lots of swimming friends that have done solos, some double crossings. Best mate as kids (and we were each others Best Man at our weddings) has done 10 solos and has been the Chief Referee on water for the past 6 years or so.

On another note there's a well known local who swims with the Polar Bears, also with swimsmooth, and has just finished the Triple Crown of OWS (number 150). That is the English Channel (2016), the Catalina Channel (July 2017), and 12 days later the 20 Bridges Circumnavigation of Manhattan! Simply amazing. She had a training run in June doing a double crossing swim to Rotto and back!

gw

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:59 am

nightcrawler wrote:

Can the coaches swim with a modest pace of 1:15/100m (i.e 18:45 for 1500m)?
If cannot, dont go to the swindlers and buffoons, even 12 year old girls can swim with 1:15 pace Smile

NC, that's Shelley as in Shelley Taylor Smith. Google is your friend if you don't know the name.

gw

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:42 pm

i know, last year she was in istanbul as the honour guest, the question is will she be dealing with you one to one or other people as the crew will give the lesson?

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:58 am

Ah OK. I did think you would/should have known of her.

From what I understand she is very hands on and the main coach for most sessions/clinics.
She only has one or 2 assistant coaches I think. You definitely get Shelley there most/all of the time.

gw

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down