THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best "Fog Buster" for swim goggles???

3 posters

Go down

Best "Fog Buster" for swim goggles??? Empty Best "Fog Buster" for swim goggles???

Post by Don Wright Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 am

I Used to be quite happy using "Hilco's - Fog Buster" (USA) spray on my goggles (just wipe the lens dry with soft tissue after using the spray) - but have had it for yonks and it's looking rather murky as I near the bottom of the 74ml container.  When my (much apreciated) "Cressi SKYLIGHT" swim mask started leaking badly recently, I tried to get a replacement but the firm seems to have "folded" - so instead tried the AquaSphere swim mask which has anti-fog coating inside the "lenses" - didn't work out for me - soon fogged up very badly!  I sent off for a Zoggs anti-fog lens cleaner - which looks like a stubby pencil and has a spongy tip applicator - it smells strongly of acetone (used in ladies nail-varnish?).  You are supposed to apply it - wait for 2 mins and then rinse the goggles under the tap and allow to air-dry before usage. Again consternation - it hasn't worked for me, I still get bad fogging!

In desperation, I bought another pair of anti-fog goggles (normal-style with eye cups, rather than a "mask" type) - but these haven't fared much better! And now I've got myself in a bit of a "muddle", sometimes experimenting with using the old Hilco spray, sometimes trying the Zoggs stuff, and sometimes the old remedy of rubbing a bit of saliva on the inside of the lenses, or nothing at all - none of which, are now very effective it seems.  I guess the problem now, is that I have been adding other "gunge" over the top of the factory applied anti-fog coating!

Has anyone any suggestions how to cure the problem???

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Best "Fog Buster" for swim goggles??? Empty Re: Best "Fog Buster" for swim goggles???

Post by cottmiler Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 am

I put a little pool/sea water into each lens to swish around while swimming.

After buying new goggs, I find I need to scratch off the inner coating quite soon as it spoils the vision.

Every few days, some soapy water clears any oils.

After a few weeks, a good rub with Silvo (Silver Trophy polishing liquid) in and out polishes up tiny scratches.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Best "Fog Buster" for swim goggles??? Empty Re: Best "Fog Buster" for swim goggles???

Post by Don Wright Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Thank you "cottmiler" - for that "soapy water"(Hello to the Washing-Up Liquid Detergent!), and the "Silvo" tips. Will try that!

Since The Zoggs stuff didn't divulge it's chemical composition, but smelt very strongly of acetone - I was thinking of getting some nail-varnish remover in the hope of getting rid of the "gunge".  But was worried about "pitting" the plastic lenses.

( In fact that old ditty occurred to me, re the various layers of anti-fog stuff I've tried already, about the old lady who swallowed a fly that tickled and tickled and tickled inside her, so that she swallows one thing after another in succession, to gobble up the preceding thing - until of course she dies! )

Yes! Saliva is mildly saline so that's why it's often a help!  Am surprised that you find it necessary with new goggles to get "scratch off" (How do you manage that without spoiling the inner surface???) the anti-fog coating - even after my application of other additional stuff - the lenses still look quite clear to me, but perhaps you've suffered this ineffectual business before of the factory applied coatings!

P.S. Just tried the soapy water business and ended up with a sticky surface inside/outside the lenses - in disgust, not finding any "Silvo" in the cupboard I used a bit of "Shiny Sinks" cream cleaner and used my thumbnail to scrape the gunge off.  Result no gunge now, but scratch marks on the lenses. Heigh-ho will use my old Fog Buster spray and see how that works for tomorrows swim!

P.P.S!  Despite thinking I had got rid of the "gunge" on my swim mask - they still fogged up after 10 mins or so,  I then switched to my other "eye cups" goggles without any fogging, for the rest of my session.  Have decided not to use the "Zoggs" stuff anymore, it is too "gungy" for my liking (goes on rather smeary but then dries to a flat coating). I'll revert to my old usage of the Hilco "spray and wipe dry" - If I can get any more, or a suitable substitute.  I wonder if the spray stuff opticians sell for cleaning ordinary specs would do the same trick?

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 am

Spit/lick works fine for me. Smile

gw

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 am

Hi Greg!

Yes the spit method used to work fine for me on my old NON-anti-fog coated prescription goggles.  But since they "expired" I always seem to end up with anti-fog coated ones (plain lenses - so short-sighted muggins can't see others till they are closer than 5ft away!) - have had to take further measures to stop fogging (can it be my pool water is too warm, making the situation worse!? Rolling Eyes ).  

Have managed to order another lot of the Hilco (spray and wipe dry) stuff, so I should be OK now.  I used the standard "eye-cup" goggles in my last session without any fogging. The only down-side with that style is that one ends up with "panda eyes", something you never get with a swim-mask, with it's extensive silicone skirting around the lens area.

Think my other AquaSphere swim mask is almost a write-off due to the extensive scratching I caused by trying to get rid of gunge by trying to follow "cott..."'s suggestion.  Although the lenses are probably some 10-15mm from my eyes - at a vision rating of -16 dioptres, the scratch marks are out of focus for me - just a general lack of clarity.

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 am

Don, I use my finger nail to scratch the coating off and it takes a few goes at it. The nail does,nt scratch the plastic. I hope you did,nt use wire wool!

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 am

cottmiler wrote:Don, I use my finger nail to scratch the coating off and it takes a few goes at it.  The nail does,nt scratch the plastic.  I hope you did,nt use wire wool!

Hi "cott..." -No Just used my thumb-nail! But that's left a lot of loopy scratches around the lenses - never mind I'll "survive"! Laughing (Maybe it was my use of the "Shiny Sinks" cream cleaner instead of "Silvo" that caused the damage.)

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down