THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kickboading

5 posters

Go down

Kickboading  Empty Kickboading

Post by SharkTank Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:16 am

Posted this on ST - get on the board and feel it!!

Yeah you know it. That kickboard is killing you so stay away from any kind of that business. I've been dunked so many times on a kickboard I lost count.

Yet our club is something like 40% on the board during practice and it's the most obviously deficient part of my swimming. So what's up with that? I sought to unravel the mystery.

hat's right I get a kickboard & start kicking until I cry uncle. But as usual with swimming, and just like the pull buoy, the kids got it right and we got it all backwards.

What I find out is kickboarding is about your chest, shoulders and front posture. It's not about kicking. Kicking is part of it course, but the main meal is what's going on up front. Here is the money part of kickboarding, those hydrodynamic gains that have been eluding you as car commuting, desk jockey turned triathlete.

The kickboard is a frontal indicator. If you pinch(crank it) and raise your shoulders, drop your chest and keep your head above water, while breaking the surface kicking, then you are in the zone. This all puts your chest lower, shoulders higher in the water, all great things. And it will make you faster. It takes work out of pool to loosen up the chest.

This body position is so profound and important that one of our best TSUN swimmers does a staggered fly stroke. She can't get both arms around at the same time, while protecting her chest and torso position in the water. So she delays one arm in kind of a stutter step. I was amazed at how fast she actually flys - like it's very fast. But she is doing this to protect her floating shoulder and chest position (without any instruction). Swimmers like me will raise their entire chest to execute fly, killing speed and sapping energy.

https://twitter.com/...s/839610243357167616

Kickboading  C6bk9ExU4AAcam6

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://www.jagersport.com/

SharkTank

Back to top Go down

Kickboading  Empty Re: Kickboading

Post by cottmiler Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:09 am

Welcome back to our Swimming Think Tank!

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by SA Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:54 am

HI Shark,

is what you are discribing the same as the pinquin swim posture?
Kickboading  315oo50

Which is the same as Nightcrawlers boatlike underside as far as I have understood him.

SA

Back to top Go down

Post by s.sciame Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:33 am

SharkTank wrote:

The kickboard is a frontal indicator. If you pinch(crank it) and raise your shoulders, drop your chest and keep your head above water, while breaking the surface kicking, then you are in the zone. This all puts your chest lower, shoulders higher in the water, all great things. And it will make you faster.

So the kickboard as a frontal indicator of how well you can press the chest. This makes the tool a bit more interesting.

And, used properly, it can make you faster. So let's look at this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld9Iy1EEGMA

Do you think he is faster

a) kicking with a board
b) kicking without board in streamlined position with a snorkel
c) kicking on back in streamlined position

? If I get your point he should be faster with a board because it lets him ride even higher on the water.

Salvo

PS: another good use of the kickboard: one arm drill with passive arm extended over the board: this gives a good stretch of shoulder, pectoral and lat

s.sciame

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom65 Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:30 am

SA wrote:HI Shark,

is what you are discribing the same as the pinquin swim posture?
Kickboading  315oo50

Which is the same as Nightcrawlers boatlike underside as far as I have understood him.

Looks like a fat deformed penguin about to head upwards.

Kickboading  Penguin-australia_2051544i
Tom65
Tom65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum