THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sharks etc.

3 posters

Go down

Sharks etc. Empty Sharks etc.

Post by cottmiler Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Here is Michael Phelps having a go at outrunning a Great White:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/michael-phelps-loses-race-to-great-white-shark/ar-AAoISHD?li=AAnZ9Ug

-0-

A 2 m blue shark caused havoc on a Majorca beach recently.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Sharks etc. Empty Re: Sharks etc.

Post by cottmiler Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:07 am

Oddly enough there was a very interesting one hour long TV program on Discovery Channel that showed how Phelps investigated the shark speed in the warm 30 C water in the Bahamas and then South Africa in colder 13 C water.  (Phelps hated the cold water).

Reef sharks, hammerhead and Great white were measured for speed but none of them swim in a straight line for more than about 10 m so a pedalo trailing some bait was finally used to get the GW to follow straight.

Phelps trained using various monofins which got him up to about 9-10 kph swimming on his side with the fin vertical, all under water except for the occasional breath.  The sharks cruise at lower speed than Phelps but can do a burst of speed 30-42 kph.   Phelps also wore a 1 mm special wetsuit.

Eventually, "races" over 50 m and 100 m were conducted although "no sharks were hurt during the making of this film" (British saying) and Phelps could just beat a hammerhead and reef shark but lost to a GW over 10 m.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:41 pm

what a stupid film Very Happy

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:31 pm

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:58 am

OMG! as the youngsters say.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkTank Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:33 am

Shark is back Smile

SharkTank

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:30 am

The King of TRX!

After you tell us how many medals you,ve won, perhaps you have a view on the thread "Time to Breathe"?

Watching Paltrinieri yesterday in FINA 1500 m, maybe sprinter is right?

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkTank Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:01 am

King of IMS needling more like it. 200 needles now?? Did use TRX this week. Working on spine/posture to straighten off & mobilize, loosen etc.

Being a novice that started with a Neanderthal stroke, hell if I can put up a win that's exciting stuff. It's not like I've been doing this all my life and I'm here to brag. No.. I've started at an advanced age, some say it couldn't be done, I doing my damndest trying and here to brag Smile. Happy to fill you in on a season thus far:

Actually I've been running, or learning to run, post injuries.  As my posture improved my swimming got faster without even swimming. Started the season with tri swim in 55DegF water, hellish bike with wrong gearing then was baked. Started training for a Tri race in June which I placed 6th overall. I was overall 8th swim, 4th bike and 25th run, 1st in 55-59AG. First individual tri win for me.  

Then I had a 3-day race around July 1st. I ran 10K, biked a insane gravel leg 4.5 hours 90km, and swam 4km. I was 4th in the swim, 7th bike and 10th run declaring myself 1st overall (it was a funky event).

Now I decided, weather's good, why not go full on training to defend the Qualicum Cup, last year's Ocean Mile race. It would be balls if could do it but not holding my breath. I am pulling out all the stops. Just got a new B70 Helix suit!!!

SharkTank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum