THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taming those Sea Anchors

3 posters

Go down

Taming those Sea Anchors Empty Taming those Sea Anchors

Post by cottmiler Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am

There comes a time when it's useful to think of reducing drag.

When attempting to maximise distance per stroke in order to squeeze the most out of each hand pull then keeping the hips high in the water is first priority. Two strong chaps were in the pool today, both reasonable swimmers, the first does 36 strokes per 30 m and the second does 26 strokes. The second chap has his heels breaking the surface of the water so his hips are much higher and is faster.

In my case, the hips are high and so not a problem. The problem is that when I peep at my feet under the water then I see that particularly the left foot is splayed outside the ideal cylinder and hesitates there. The 2 beat kick is badly timed I suppose.

This video shows lovely streamlined underwater swimming action and I don't see the feet (sea anchors) sticking out and slowing them down. Admitttedly they both have flexible ankles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJaHKI7Qshk

Apart from making a concerted effort to point the toes inwards, I must try and return the feet together as in the Total Immersion style.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Taming those Sea Anchors Empty Re: Taming those Sea Anchors

Post by mushroomfloat Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Shorten your pull, relax and let go of it when it reaches the bottom of the rib cage, let the hand wash back to the waist and circle out of the exit back around to the front for another rapid pull.

Your legs will stay together in perfect streamline
You will be faster
Your stroke rate will increase markedly.

mushroomfloat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike A Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:16 pm

With 2BK, doing a crossover style can help prevent splaying (what Solar/Charles used to refer to as "hide the foot drill").
Mike A
Mike A

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum