THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slowly regaining form

5 posters

Go down

Slowly regaining form Empty Slowly regaining form

Post by Sprinter Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:13 pm

Hello,

seems only few readers left, but let's see.

Since roughly 1 1/2 months I am swimming again, after nearly 6 months of a complete break. Being a member of a gym with 25m pool and of a public pool, swimming isn't too bad currently. Regaining fitness likely will take more time.

One always has to take such breaks as a chance. Breaking old habits; perhaps it's stronger than a habit, but more like something installed into your body.
I think indeed the technique improved. I believe I know now quite well how I want to swim, and I am not too far off -- but a lot of unwanted movements. From toes to fingers. And it seems that I improved on that. More awareness after the long break.

Especially the legs I got better under control. It seemed helpful to me, that I did video recordings of myself with dryland exercises related to abs and legs (straight legs up and down, in variations). I could clearly see problems which also arise when swimming! So since then with all those exercises I concentrate on pointing the toes and turning the feet inwards -- and that seems to help.

Speed is developing. Hopefully I can get faster than before, but that'll take more time.

Another important aspect is the use of the lats for the pulls. I noticed early that I happen for forget that, especially when pulling heavily (and that can lead to shoulder problems). So I constantly monitor the use of the lats, kind of feeling mounted with the whole arms.

Sprinter

Tom65 and cottmiler like this post

Back to top Go down

Slowly regaining form Empty Re: Slowly regaining form

Post by Tom65 Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:57 am

Living in Melbourne equals no swimming, so that's one swim since June last year due to injuries, moved house, out of stage 4 restriction zone, hoping to get a swim in soon in an outdoor pool.
Tom65
Tom65

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:24 am

G'Day sprinter!

Great to hear from you and that you are happily swimming again! I have just started a bit of tennis now but no swimming other than on the living room carpet.

You mention the "use of lats". When I did my last Cottesloe Mile sea swim in January, the muscles under each arm were rather sore. I presume these were the lats. I hadn't experienced this before.

My brother in Perth has just had a 1-2-1 swim stroke analysis with Sally Scaffidi of SwimSmooth and found it very illuminating. He is an experienced open water sea swimmer (about 15% faster than me).

Sally pointed out 1) incomplete lung clearing, 2) erroneous hand entry needing hand below wrist below elbow, 3) left side breathing causing leg straying.

You've heard it all before no doubt. Bro was very pleased to have learned this stuff.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:12 am

Hi All

My planned time off due to a shoulder issue turned into 5 months of no swimming with covid-19. I discovered 2 things: 1 - both shoulders felt "worse" when I started swimming again (use or lose it I guess!) and 2 - I am swimming like a slug! Smile Even after starting back gradually in August 3 x 1.7k per week, I'm only up to 3 x 2.7k, although feeling better in the water, but not necessarily faster.

Can't complain though, we've been very lucky down here in OZ, covid-19 wise, and even better in W.A. We still have a hard border with the other states and the rest of the world, but our isolation has worked in our favour. It's basically "normal" here, social distancing still in effect (although often not observed) and no restrictions on crowds, bars, restaurants, shopping, etc. except at large sporting events, e.g. 20,000 cap in a 60,000 capacity stadium. 14-day quarantine for ANYONE entering from interstate or overseas. No community spread, and the only cases for the last few months have been a few returning travellers.

In the midst of all this we decided to buy a new house and move! Well only because something came up that we (meaning my wife) couldn't pass up. So downsized from suburban 4x2 family home on a large block to a 3x2 townhouse on the coast at Port/North Coogee. Only been here 3 weeks but are loving it.

Old house - https://www.realestate.com.au/property/10-errina-pl-willetton-wa-6155
New house - https://www.realestate.com.au/property/unit-1-8-socrates-pde-north-coogee-wa-6163

We plan on doing a lot of open water swimming this coming summer. Smile

Keep safe everyone.

gw

gregorywannabe

cottmiler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:24 am

I have now upped the swimming to 3 x 3.7k in the pool during the week (Mon, Wed, Fri) and 1.5k Sat in the ocean. Water was cold (~19C) but I was OK after the swim. Will get it to 3k in the ocean in a few weeks time as it starts to warm up a bit.

gw

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:49 am

Bro in Perth has just reported his first 2.5k despite poor conditions and lots of stingers!

He had obviously benefitted from his 1-2-1 with Sally Scaffidi of SwimSmooth teaching him more sustainable breathing technique.

cottmiler

gregorywannabe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:22 am

Here we are in April 2021 now, and I can safely say that living on the beach is pretty good. I'm still working from home since we were sent home over 12 months ago, and I do not intend to return, particularly given it's now a 100min round trip commute rather than 30min. I am swimming every day before breakfast/work and am currently doing 3.6km every morning. The weather and water temp will start getting worse from now on but I'm going to keep going as long as I can before returning to the pool.

Hope everyone's well, and please keep safe.

gw

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am

Lucky chap!  Here in England (Wont say the UK, cos the different "devolved" nations that comprise the UK, all have different dates/rules as we are emerging from the latest lockdown! ["Thank you!" Tony Blair ex PM, for introducing "devolvement" - which in the case of Scotland looks like plans to "break away" from our union!)]

Our nearest pool (25m) is at the" Nuffield Health & Fitness Centre" a short distance from Telford Centre.  Supposedly re-opening on 12th April!!!

I'll be taking my front snorkel, 'cos at my last swim before our 3rd  lockdown started (after Xmas week in 2020) - I experienced a lot of giddiness/disorientation when making inhalations while swimming FS.  Am on tablets that are supposed to improve blood flow to the inner ear's labyrinth, which affects balance.  Just hoping they work, or will need to use that front snorkel a lot!

Have had 2  "falls" since lockdown -  due to balance problems, but mercifully no lasting damage, just a bit "shook up".   Think the snorkel will also help me with preliminary "dolphin style" efforts doing "breast-fly" - as long as my undulations are kept small so as not to submerge the top of the breathing tube! Sad  I still need to "crack" the problem of side-inhalations when swimming fly - since due to old-age spinal problems, front-inhalation in fly is now  more than a bit "iffy"! Crying or Very sad

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:33 am

First time back after that 3-4 month lockdown - and didn't do very well. Think that was the feeling of most of the other few swimmers I spoke to. Breathless and aware of "sinky legs" when FS-ing - mostly forgot to use my legs, just relying on arm action to pull my body through the water. It's gonna take quite a time for me to get back into anything approaching decent form for my age!

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down