THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swimming in Cold Water

3 posters

Go down

Swimming in Cold Water Empty Swimming in Cold Water

Post by cottmiler Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:51 am

I found this rather interesting because Paul describes 18 degC as cold and probably necessitating a higher cadence in order to keep hypothermia away, for those with long arms and low cadence strokes. (Like Bopov)

When I first get to Perth in November, the water is about 18 degC and I can only stay in for 10 minutes at a time.

It would seem useful to practise a 75 spm cadence in readiness.

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2018/06/swimming-in-rough-or-cold-conditions.html

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Swimming in Cold Water Empty Re: Swimming in Cold Water

Post by Bopov Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:26 pm

This is my first reply on this excellent Forum to which I was introduced by "Cottmiler" and who coined the name "Bopov"for me.

On his recent visit to our pool he very generously gave up his swimming time to take a look at my stroke.His observations were both accurate and extremely helpful.Particularly helpful were the corrective drills he suggested and then demonstrated.

The "Unco" drill was the one which I felt was very beneficial in feeling strong rotation.
The instrument of torture i.e."ankle band"was a revelation to me in revealing how an incorrect catch quickly sends your legs sinking to the floor.I am looking to now purchase an ankle band.

As for Mrs "Cott's "Egyptian Crawl",I have seen nothing like it on the planet.!!

Bopov

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 am

After the recent slow motion Longdog drill and some Finis Agility practise I thought I should commence some 75 spm swimming.

After such a long break it was rather hard work but I managed 18 x 30 m individual laps.

As time went on I discovered several pointers.

1. turn head early to breathe (bilateral).
2. keep head low rather than lift to breathe.
3. click the body over from one side to the other very quickly to avoid swimming on my front. Two beat kick.
4. very fast arm recovery

Probably no. 3 was the most important.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:29 am

Hi cm,

I recently had a "swim" in the coldest water I've ever been in! Not 100% certain but seatemperature.org seems to indicate it was around 15-16C. I only did ~100m because everything ached and was painful!

I'm just back from 5 weeks in Portugal/Spain. Lisbon, Lagos, Albufeira, Tavira, Seville, Granada, Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona. The cold swim was in Albufeira, which was to be expected, given that it's the Altlantic Ocean! I did manage a swim at Valencia and Barcelona (~1.5km at each) in the much warmer waters of the Mediterranean (~22C). Swimming wasn't a priority so I'm now in the process of gradually getting back to 5 swims per week for a total of ~20km. All in the pool until our winter ends and some better weather returns.

gw

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:42 am

Greg, that sounds like a wonderful cruise. We have been to some of those places with shorter cruises and swum when possible. The water is cooler in early summer.

We had a 9 foot blue shark in St Ives harbour yesterday and a huge great white was recently seen off Majorca.

Hopefully the sharks are leaving Australia ready for our trips there over our winter. Perth and Sydney Bondi of course.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down