THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chlorine Issues

2 posters

Go down

Chlorine Issues Empty Chlorine Issues

Post by cottmiler Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:53 am

I saw this last night in an old Outdoor Swimmer magazine. This may be of interest to you Don.

"Chlorine Issues. I am 68 years old. Two years ago I would swim about 10 miles a week. A year and a half ago, I started to have several breathing issues when I swam in chlorine, both indoor and outdoor pools. I waited a year and recently tried again. I only swam for 15 minutes and for a month afterwards had to use an inhaler every day.

I went to an internist, an allergist and the cardiologist. They all told me I was in good health. The only thing I can figure out is I am hypersensitive to chlorine.

I can swim outdoors in the ocean or freshwater. Yet that proves difficult as there are not many places to swim near me.

Has anyone else had this problem? Doctor say they have no idea why I have issues. Any advice from any readers?"

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Chlorine Issues Empty Re: Chlorine Issues

Post by Don Wright Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:55 am

Hi "cott..."!

Yes, chlorinated pool water might be an issue I suppose - especially as my pool has a weekly session for toddlers called a "Puddle-ducks" session - and little accidents will happen...! (*)  The current pool I use, and my former one in Kettering, are both Chlorinated - but before that I used "The Heights" pool in Sandown I.O.W. and that used a different cleansing system (Bromide???).  But can't remember, since it was some 17 years ago, whether or not I had that "pit-stop" requirement for a "breather" at the end of each length.

(* Shades of Michael Phelps doing a "pee" in the water during long training sessions to avoid wasting time for visits to the loo.  I can understand that, 'cos after I've been in the pool for an hour or so,- the "waterworks" are getting bit a bit fraught - even crossing the legs to ease the discomfort, and hang on a bit longer while having a "pit-stop". 70 mins in the pool is the longest time I can endure. Although the "waterworks" problem may be associated with a "TURPS" op I had at 55 - a disaster - am one of the 10% of "unfortunates" - nerve damage in bladder/prostate area.  TURPS is - something chaps should IMO avoid if at all possible, or ask for some other method of prostate surgery - the "kit"'s all there, but no longer works as it ought!  During the night, despite the 3 ops I had to make things easier - usually need a couple of nocturnal visits to the loo to relieve "waterworks" discomfort.  I don't want to submit to any further "medical intervention" - so I just have to put up with things as they are.  Mercifully, I don't suffer urinal incontinence!)

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum