THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Qualicum Ocean Mile Race 59th running!

3 posters

Go down

Qualicum Ocean Mile Race 59th running! Empty Qualicum Ocean Mile Race 59th running!

Post by SharkTank Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 am

Race report: Conditions were awesome. They nailed the tide perfectly. The course, which runs parallel to shore, was on the beach when we got there 2 hours before to register!

I was out to defend the Qualicum Cup - yeah my name's on there. But when I saw a dude in a Roka suit, who supposedly won the Escape from Alcatraz swim, I knew there was trouble  Shocked

I took the inside line off the start, at the front. The lead guys were going ballistic, but I stayed w/their feet until the first turn. Then we were into a heavy current. The kind of current you see things zing by on the bottom.  My lake has a current so I found 6Bk seems to hold position better. So I 6BK'd the whole race actually.

I got dropped into a "chase" pack of one (me). No man's land Sad.  There was no keeping up, simply don't have the lungs for that front pace.  

At the turnaround I actually wasn't too far behind my buddy & the leaders. But down the back straight with the current, they were gone.   So I just kept a tempo pace, 6BK to bring it home. The remainder of the race was behind me by quite a bit.   I got out of the water feeling like I had left something on the table.

It was the defibrillator  cyclops .

Here's my buddy Dr. Owen Brown, first overall. No wetsuit. He trained hard and ripped it.

Qualicum Ocean Mile Race 59th running! DHulgtHUwAAHTiZ

https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com/status/899495360808210435

SharkTank

Back to top Go down

Qualicum Ocean Mile Race 59th running! Empty Re: Qualicum Ocean Mile Race 59th running!

Post by nightcrawler Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:48 am

Congragulations, I really appreciate the amateur swimmers competing in any events, no matter your level or age group, every challenge has hard working behind the scenes. Hope to meet in European Championships in Slovenia.

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Qualicum Ocean Mile Race 59th running! Empty Re: Qualicum Ocean Mile Race 59th running!

Post by cottmiler Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 am

Awesome and very inspiring!

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkTank Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:29 am

Here's a news article. Owen (winner) can be seen munching in - green cap at about 00:40.
In the top 4 were Owen, Trevor then the two kids - which are fast little guys. I followed them in 5th overall, 2nd in the Open class.

Race Video/Report

SharkTank

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:19 pm

Well done! What is your average pace per 100m?

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkTank Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:03 am

I don't pool swim much so I GPS pace (sensor in cap). I just did some time trialing on our 310M course

Went like this:
4:30 with mono fin+suit
4:30 with fins+suit
4:30 with B70 Helix

Then I thought well what about a sprint w/fins? And that worked out to 1:05 /100M leg limited. In other words I bonked due to my legs unable to keep pushing. My pull could have gone all day long.

Leads me to believe I need to clean up the frontal drag situation.

SharkTank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down