THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Events 2020

2 posters

Go down

Events 2020 Empty Events 2020

Post by cottmiler Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 am

Cottmiler has done it again!

Swum the Cottesloe Classic Mile today here in Perth on a lovely sunny day.

The sea was smooth to start with but got a bit choppy as time went on. On the out lap, was I glad to reach the furthermost yellow buoy! Then head to shore for a bit, turn right at the buoy and “race” to the finish.

I took over 50 kms of sea and pool training over the last 6 weeks to feel fit enough.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Events 2020 Empty Re: Events 2020

Post by cottmiler Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:15 am

It was nice to see that Paul Newsome of SwimSmooth raced the Cottesloe to Swanbourne 2 km swim today in 25:45 time. This was the swim I did some years and he was there at the finish line to cheer me on and inspire me.

He had a horrendous 2019 with injury and family problems as he explained in a recent podcast.

In 10 days time we hope to see him at Claremont Pool!

Meanwhile I am looking at a couple more sea swims that I might be able to have a go at whilst in Perth.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:51 am

Hi Cott, nice to hear you're back in Perth again and enjoying some OWS.

I've only done a few ows events this season, but am down at Coogee beach every Sat morning @ 8:00am.

Events so far, Rottnest Swim Thru 1.6km in a very slow 30:05 but in very choppy conditions.
Christmas 10km at Coogee in 3:19:58 pb, Swim Thru Perth 3.5km in 1:07:43 again very choppy
Busselton Jetty 3.6km in a pb 1:01:03 in calm conditions and gradually getting towards a sub 1hr one day hopefully.

701,620 metres for 2019, a lot less and a lot slower than nc! Wink

Apparently my wife has decided that we are doing a duo to Rotto next year, so I'd better keep on swimming.

gw

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43 am

My brother and I turned up for the Coogee Jetty to Jetty Swim (8th March?). He had entered and had a nice swim but I couldn,t because I hadn,t pre-booked. Beautiful event. Later went on to Cottesloe to swim in the wonderful shark netted area.

However, I attended several SwimSmooth Open Water squad sessions with Paul Newsome and Sally Scaffidi and rapidly improved! Nothing like sea swimming to get strong.

Sitting at home in England now, well not just sitting but doing exercises and plenty of stretching in case we ever get back to Perth.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregorywannabe Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 am

Good to hear cm. I was a DNS for the Coogee Jetty to Jetty swim. Yes, it's a great community event/swim.

I was a DNS due to shoulder issues. Started 8 days before the Busselton Jetty swim, when I and a friend raced each other hard over 3km at Coogee beach. Wasn't even sure I could do the Busso swim. Did nothing for 8 days, and even on the start line I had no idea if I would even make 100m! So in the end I was very happy with a pb. Although the shoulder was pretty good during the swim, it wasn't very happy afterwards. So I decided to take a break from swim training, it's been just over 5 weeks now. Only slightly aware of the niggle now. The original intent was a 2 month break, then back into weights/exercise/swimming. Will stick with that although the swimming could easily be another 6+ months the way things are with covid-19.

I'm sure you'll get back to Perth at some stage. In the meantime, take care and look after yourself and your family.

gw

gregorywannabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down