THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Arm Stroke

3 posters

Go down

First Arm Stroke Empty First Arm Stroke

Post by cottmiler Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 am

I did a good pushoff and then soon a single right arm stroke and was pleased to cover 12 m until I stopped. This was repeatable.

Just for comparison, I did the pushoff with no arm stroke and covered 11.99 m! Disappointment now. This was repeatable too.

My wonderful powerful right arm stroke was almost totally ineffective!

I suppose that experimenting with when to commence the first pull might improve things a bit. I recall Rodrigues saying to commence the pull quite soon after pushoff when you are going faster than normal swim speed.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

First Arm Stroke Empty Re: First Arm Stroke

Post by s.sciame Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 pm

cottmiler wrote:

I suppose that experimenting with when to commence the first pull might improve things a bit.  I recall Rodrigues saying to commence the pull quite soon after pushoff when you are going faster than normal swim speed.

I agree: better taking the first stroke when you're still a bit faster at cost of breaking the streamline and losing a bit of speed, rather than taking the first stroke too late when you have already gone sub swim speed. On long steady sets I used to get lazy and do long pushoffs, but I recognize it was a laziness issue. That's another reason why I recently replaced sets like 10x400 with something like 1h of 25m reps with 3.5s rest.

Salvo

s.sciame

Back to top Go down

Post by nightcrawler Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 pm

As training for the marathon races i m trying to be as slow as possible after push off the wall. First arm stroke and going faster than normal swim speed is a fake for me, not an indicator for ow swimmers.

nightcrawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down