THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non-FQS freestyle swimming

2 posters

Go down

Non-FQS freestyle swimming Empty Non-FQS freestyle swimming

Post by Don Wright Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi folks!

At one time, I used to favor a non-FQS style of arm action. In which, as the rear arm is about to exit the water i.e. finishing the push , the lead arm was dropping down to a catch, ready to start a pull.  Well it was "Do-able" but frowned upon by coaches because of possible loss of balance and "theoretical"(?) conflict in the water flow under the body if 2 arms are attempting to propel  one forward at the same time - but not in the same position relative to the shoulder line as in fly - the arms acting in an asymmetric way (introducing a bit of torque due to the UW separation of the arms).  Possibly OK for the last few metres in a race for competitive swimmers, desperate to reach the touch pad.  I think Maglischo in his tome, also wrote that it was OK just for a short distance.

For the past couple of years I have been relatively "well-behaved" (swim-wise! Smile ), keeping to the standard FQS arm arrangement - in the interest of more relaxation (Hmmm! - gliding in a stream-lined attitude! Twisted Evil )  However, this morning I had a sudden thought, wondering how the crew on the left and right sides paddle Chinese style "dragon-boats" in races.   YouTube videos show that they do work in unison - i.e. paddling symmetrically.  However, I think I will re-visit the non-FQS arm action - mainly because that is the way to reduce/eliminate - the "dead-spot" when only the flutter kick (mine is not very effective anyway) is providing propulsion!.  In theory  Rolling Eyes  (the lead arm should start it's pull as the rear arm ends it's push) - we should aim for a more continual propulsion from the arms as well as the legs - hence the awakened interest!

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Non-FQS freestyle swimming Empty Re: Non-FQS freestyle swimming

Post by Don Wright Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:14 pm

I tried "re-visiting" the non-FQS F.S. yesterday! Not relaxing at all (don't know how I ever thought it such a good idea) - so I'll stick with the standard FQS - glide and all! Twisted Evil

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Post by cottmiler Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:18 pm

To continue the fin saga, Mrs Cott sold her floaty fins and bought some more normal weight ones. They are not too big but do have rubber heel cups which makes them slippery.

However she really likes using them in order to improve timing, horizontal body position and ability to do various drills.

It has finally dawned on me that lots of the many drills that I have tried to master over the years were impossible in reality since I didn,t have any propulsion from the legs and feet.

It,s a pity you can,t find some sort of strap on fins that have an exposed heel so that you don,t slither about on the pool floor in a dangerous manner.

No good news regarding Paul Newsome yet. You are a battler and maybe he could do with some of your incorrigible spirit.

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down