THE SWIM FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SwimSmooth Hand/Arm Survey

4 posters

Go down

SwimSmooth Hand/Arm Survey Empty SwimSmooth Hand/Arm Survey

Post by cottmiler Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:24 am

Those who get SS’ blogs will have had a short survey asking these details:

Height
Fingertip to fingertip distance then subtract height to get Ape Index
Width and length of a hand
400 m best pace

Paul Newsome will crunch the numbers and it will help develop training ideas.

However, I think he is missing something and that is whether you are porpoise shaped or surfboard shaped. In other words do you have a bulbous chest or flat chest because I think it makes a big difference as to how much body roll you should do when clicking from side to side.

In my case I am surfboard shaped and I think I need to have a lot of body roll and that in turn needs a slow cadence.

What do readers think?

cottmiler

Back to top Go down

SwimSmooth Hand/Arm Survey Empty Re: SwimSmooth Hand/Arm Survey

Post by Don Wright Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:44 am

Never mind the youngsters "surfboard" or "porpoise" shape - what about some of us oldies that have a bit of a "spare tyre" around the middle, despite efforts to shift it!?

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprinter Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:03 pm

What is "surfboard shaped"?
What is "porpoise shaped"?

Sprinter

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wright Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:29 am

cottmiler wrote:

...However, I think he is missing something and that is whether you are porpoise shaped or surfboard shaped.  In other words do you have a bulbous chest or flat chest because I think it makes a big difference as to how much body roll you should do when clicking from side to side.

OK so I grumbled about the (little Smile ) "spare tyre" around my middle, but looking at cott's post, he has already explained what he meant, by the red highlighted phrase!  Personally, my rib cage is deeper down at the diaphragm end , than below the clavicles - so I definitely aint a "surfboard" shape i.e. no "bulbous chest",  not much in the way of "pecs" development as body-builders have.  Oh well, it takes all sorts to make a world - at least we haven't so far, mentioned "pear-shaped"!  Rolling Eyes  But does it affect how much body roll we use when FS-ing? I reckon it's more a matter of the hip rotation, rather than the shoulders.  

Don Wright

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike A Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:56 am

Yeah, I did that survey. I have a plus 2 inch ape index (height 6', wingspan 6'2"). I wonder if leg length is also a factor in swim styles? I have long legs as well as long arms, relative to my height. I have relatively small feet (UK size 9). Your classic Michael-Phelps-style swimmer's build is long arms and long torso, but relatively short legs, and big feet. Phelps is 6'4", has the upper body of someone typically 6'8" and the lower body of someone typically 5'10". He also has size 14 feet.

As regards chest, well I'm neither really! I have a minor deformity known as pectus excavatum, which means my sternum bends inwards (hollow chest). In extreme cases, this can result in reduced heart and lung function. Not that it holds everyone back - Olympic bronze breaststroker Cody Miller has the same condition (if anything, a little more extreme than mine).
https://imgur.com/gallery/ifoQX
Mike A
Mike A

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down